* Frigidaire has announced a new smart AC, and we're 95 percent confident that it's our current pick, plus Wi-Fi and a companion app. We'll be testing the new unit to make sure and will update the guide with our results. [Best Air Conditioner]
* Our pruners guide could have been more clear on which model to get for gardeners with small hands, so we've updated the piece with a link to the Felco 6, an option that is a nearly identical (but smaller) version of our main pick. [Best Garden Pruners]
* In this weekend’s edition of Inner Vision, make your own DIY speaker cables, use acupressure to reduce nausea and vomiting symptoms, and listen to the best soundtrack for increased productivity.
* Best Deals: Our favorite standing bike pump, the Lezyne Steel Floor Drive, and favorite tire lever, Pedro's Tire Lever, are down to $52 (from $65) when bought together with code STOCKUP20. [Bike Pump/Tire Lever]
* We've seen some reports of the head of our favorite Casabella indoor broom spinning forever when people try to screw it on. We tracked down a broom with this problem and initiated a return through customer service, and had a great experience. Casabella shipped us a whole new broom--that works perfectly--free of charge. If you're experiencing this problem, please reach out to Casabella at 800-841-4140 or email@example.com. [Best Broom, Mop, and Dustpan]
* In this weekend’s edition of Inner Vision, why you should clean your produce like your dishes, learn to use a compass, and start doing more things alone.
* We interviewed bike thieves, cyclists, and experts to find the best bike lock. The Kryptonite Series 2 package is strong enough to foil thieves who can be deterred by locks (although ultimately, very determined thieves will be able to steal any bike). The Kryptonite is very light and comes with a cable and an easy-to-mount carrying bracket.
* If you own a bike, you need a patch kit. Luckily, you can put together a great one in less time than it takes to read our guide. After 96 hours of combined testing, we’ve put together a list of the best levers, patches, portable tire pumps, seat bags, and wrenches to include in your own kit.
* We tested 15 bike pumps on five bikes and spoke to a former bike pump designer, a Tour de France mechanic, and the world's preeminent bike repair manual author to find the best. The Lezyne Steel Floor Drive is our favorite: Its wooden handle, steel barrel, and heavy aluminum base are sturdy and much more durable than cheaper pumps’ fittings. Plus, its screw-on pump head makes it incredibly simple to use.
* We spent 45 hours examining 31 brands and 150 bike lights to find best bicycle lights for commuters. Our favorite headlight and taillight, the Cygolite Metro 360 and Hotshot 2W respectively, are sold in a combo pack, which is the better deal. The Metro 360 is unmatched in quality and runs for 2 hours on the highest setting. The Hotshot 2W is bright, USB-rechargeable, and longer-lasting than any other rechargeable taillight by several hours.
* After testing hybrid bikes over the past two years, we found that the most versatile bike for riding around town is the $490 Trek 7.2 FX (for the second year in a row). It rides well on short road rides and moderate commuting distances. It’s also nimble, lightweight, and—most importantly—better-equipped than any other brand-name bike in its price range.
* We tested 14 outdoor brooms with a troop of Boy Scouts to find that the O’Cedar 24” Multi-Surface Push Broom is the best option for your driveway, decking, patio, or garage floor. Its blend of stiff and soft bristles can handle fine particles and heavier debris, wet or dry. A unique fastener you won’t find on any of the competition means the head won’t detach from the handle while you’re sweeping.
* In this weekend’s edition of Inner Vision, building a tiny house on a budget, removing your personal information from data brokers, and keeping your car keys in the freezer.
* We've made our former runner-up pick for best nail clippers, the Muji Silver, our new main pick. For $11, you get nicely designed, compact, and sharp clippers that cut nails cleanly. Our previous top choice, the Mehaz 660, are great clippers that have held up well in long-term testing, but they've become nearly impossible to find. [The Best Nail Clippers for Home Grooming]
* What does it mean to travel well? Over the past two years, we’ve spent more than 200 hours researching and testing dozens of products, and we consulted one of the top experts in travel efficiency, to find the most dependable items to help you travel well.
* We conducted 20 hours of research and consulted three experts to find that the Earth Machine is the best composter for most people’s yards. It’s one of the cheaper composters you can buy, yet it’s easier to assemble than other brands. It’s secure against pests and ecologically friendly (making it a timely pick for Earth Day, which is today).
* After 150 hours of research and testing 20 different detergents with a chemist on 252 stain swatches and 136 pounds of laundry, our new favorite is Tide Plus Bleach Alternative HE Liquid. In our tests, it was the absolute best at removing a wide variety of stains in both cold and warm water. It’s particularly great at removing chocolate, grass, lipstick, oil, tomato, and red wine. At $0.36 per load, it’s also fairly affordable, falling about mid-range among the detergents we tested.
* After testing ten different vaporizers, we found the Crafty produced the freshest-tasting, best quality vapor when compared to the competition. It’s intuitive to use, and was also the easiest to maintain and clean of any model we tested. Plus, it packs some useful design features like vibration and LED alerts to signal when its ready to go.
* There's a new adjustable wrench from Channellock that looks like strong competition for our main pick. We're going to test it and see how it compares to our current pick, also made by Channellock. [Best Adjustable Wrench]
* We're hiring an Office Assistant based in New York City to maintain an efficient and enjoyable live/work space for our staff working in NYC on a daily basis, as well as visiting staffers from out of town.
* We spent an additional 50 hours investigating and testing six top-rated dutch ovens to find the best for most home kitchens. The $75 6-quart Lodge Color Enamel Dutch Oven has the best balance of design and features, and it even kept pace with ovens four times its price. It is great for braises, stews, and even no-knead bread.