July 31, 2014
The Best Kitchen Trash Can
After 30 hours of research, arguing the merits of 50+ trash cans, talking to six food professionals, and testing 12 finalists with 12 average users, we found the best trash can. The simplehuman Wide Step
has a removable liner for easy cleaning and a stay-open switch keeps it from closing while you bustle around the kitchen. Read More >
July 28, 2014
* We added long-term testing notes to our citrus juicer guide and put our washer and dryer guide on wait status while we research replacements for our current picks that were just discontinued.
July 25, 2014
Inner Vision for the weekend of July 25, 2014
Inner Vision is a weekly digest connecting the dots between great everyday objects and the culture and techniques behind living well with them. In this weekend’s edition, we share tips for squeezing a few more sheets out of an “empty” ink jet cartridge, shaving with olive oil instead of chemical-based foams or creams, and how […]
July 23, 2014
* We took a look another look at the field of watering cans and found that our current pick, the Haws Bosmere V115, is still the best. But since it's out of stock until the end of July, we've named the OXO Outdoor Pour and Store as a runner-up in case you need one right now. We also included our long-term test notes from using the Haws for the past year, and updated the competition section.
July 22, 2014
The Best Pepper Mill
After 45 hours of research and testing, we found the best pepper mill for most people. The Peugeot Paris U’Select
was the first pepper mill over a century ago, and it’s still the best. Its sharp, steel mechanism ground 1/2 tsp. of pepper faster and more evenly than the competition. Read More >
July 18, 2014
Inner Vision for the weekend of July 18, 2014
Inner Vision is a weekly digest connecting the dots between great everyday objects and the culture and techniques behind living well with them. In this weekend’s edition, we share tips for capturing the next “Supermoon,” why size matters when picking the right grill for summer picnic season, and how to improve your smartphone snapshots in two swipes and a tap.
July 16, 2014
* We're hiring a Product Manager to help us make our sites better. Know any people who might be interested?
July 15, 2014
* Since it's been six months since we published our Best Step Stool guide, we updated it with long-term usage notes for our pick.
July 15, 2014
The Best Composters for Kitchen Scraps
We spent 20 hours on research, consulted three experts, and tapped into our writer’s 20 years of experience to find the best composting units for most people. The Earth Machine
is often available at Public Works departments for a substantial discount. It’s simple to aerate, has a large opening, and keeps rodents out – unlike the competition. We also have recommendations for larger and smaller needs. Read More >
July 11, 2014
Inner Vision for the weekend of July 11, 2014
There’s a plentitude of sites (including our own) recommending and rating just about everything made by mankind. But as important as “what to buy” is knowing what’s possible using the products you’ve purchased. Inner Vision is a weekly digest connecting the dots between great everyday objects and the culture and techniques behind living well with them.
July 11, 2014
The Best Drinking Glass
We spent 28 hours researching and testing drinking glasses to find the best, subjecting the top eight contenders to punishing drops and temperature tests. The Bormioli Rocco Rock Bar
drinking glasses were one of only four glasses to survive a 42-inch drop onto concrete. Plus, they stack easily without ever sticking. Read More >
July 7, 2014
* The first hands-on review of Honeywell's potential Nest competitor is out, so we've updated our Smart Thermostat guide. We also updated our Home Vacuum guide with the latest user reviews for our main pick.
July 7, 2014
The Best Commuter Bike Lights
We spent 45 hours examining 31 brands and 150 bike lights, testing for features like brightness and battery life. The Cygolite Metro 360
remains our favorite headlight, while the Hotshot 2W
is our new tail light pick, which is USB rechargeable and long lasting. Our favorite is the combo pack
containing both these picks. Read More >
July 4, 2014
The Best Popsicle Molds
If you’re spending the weekend outdoors, enjoying a few homemade popsicles from the Zoku Round Slow Pop Molds is a pretty great way to stay cool. They’re a good size for adults and kids alike, don’t take up much space in your freezer, and work with most ingredients without risking breakage.
July 2, 2014
The Best Way To Keep Open Wine Fresh
After interviewing award-winning sommeliers and holding a taste test with certified wine experts, we found the best way to preserve an open bottle of wine. Private Preserve
uses an inert mixture of common gases to prevent oxidation, and performed the best in our head-to-head tests in maintaining flavor and aroma of the wine. Read More >